Captain R.W. Burt's Late War Diary

January 1865

Jan. 1st: Ate roast turkey and goose with Dr. Arnold and family. Our camp in front of his residence.

Jan. 2nd: Captain Wintrode and I "officer of the day". Took some of the 76th printer boys up to help get out the "Republican".

Jan. 3rd: Nothing of any note transpired.

Jan. 4th: Ditto.

Jan. 5th: Confiscated about 8 bushels of oysters when on duty and gave the 76th officers a good mess.

Jan. 6th: Had Battalion drill preparatory to review. Lt. Col. Briggs drilled the Regiment on East Broad Street.

Jan. 7th: Grand review of the 15th Army Corps by Gen. Sherman. The 76th won praise for good marching and soldierly bearing.

Jan. 8th: Composed "Sherman and His Boys in Blue". Orders to march at 7 AM tomorrow, but countermanded.

Jan. 9th: Orders to march at 9 AM tomorrow.

Jan. 10th: Relieved from provost duty by 66th Ohio. Regiment marched 4 miles to Thunderbolt and that night embarked on steamer: destination Beaufort.

Jan. 11th: Regiment landed at Beaufort, marched 4 miles out and encamped.

Jan. 12th: Regiment still in camp.

Jan. 13th: Orders to march at 9 AM tomorrow. Captain Wintrode commanding the Regiment and Colonel Briggs the Brigade. Colonel Woods still in Savannah.

Jan. 14th: Marched 10 miles and across the river at Port Royal crossing.

Jan. 15th: Advanced 4 miles beyond Rebel fort, getting there by daylight, then returned to Gardner's Corners 2 miles from old camp.

Jan. 16th: Remained in camp. Adjutant Jury returned from Beaufort with news of Colonel Woods being breveted Brigadier General. Rebel Pickets 4 miles in front. 17th Corps holds Pocotaligo Bridge.

Jan. 17th: Weather pretty cool.

Jan. 18th: Composed song for the 15th Corps. Got oysters from Beaufort.

Jan. 19th: Raining and cold today.

Jan. 20th: Lieut. Jeremy went out foraging with 100 men. Feasting on oysters.

Jan. 21st: Col. Briggs went to Savannah. Captain Wintrode commanding Regiment. Cold weather.

Jan. 22nd: Genl. Woods arrived from Savannah to take command of the Brigade. Rainy day.

Jan. 23rd: Genl. Woods appoints his staff.

Jan. 24th: Quite cold.

Jan. 25th: Marched at 8 AM 6 miles east to Combahee River and found Rebels strongly fortified on the other side. Remained until sundown and returned to camp.

Jan. 26th: Sent back to the rear with 60 men to cut timber for a corduroy road.

Jan. 27th: Major Genl. Woods coming up with First Division.

Jan. 28th: Built log heaps before our tents to keep warm.

Jan. 29th: Orders to march tomorrow. Four of us take a wedge tent without poles.

Jan. 30th: Marched at 6 AM, passing through Pocataligo and halted at Mcphersonville, 15 miles. The town mostly burnt in the night.

Jan. 31st: Remained in camp as the Rebels had piled cut timber in the roads.

Top Of Page

Burt Diary Page

Copyright © 1995-2000 Larry Stevens